Friday, March 30, 2012

30DC - Day Seven, Salabhasana Sunday


Sunday is no longer a day of rest! It was such a gorgeous day in Denver, but also inside the studio. :) I was so happy during the spine-strengthening series because something finally clicked when it came to Salabhasana (Locust Pose). Up until this point I was way off. I wasn't pressing the majority of my weight onto the hands and upper portion of the body, which is how it should be done. Before, I was trying so hard to use my leg and abdominal strength in order to get my legs into the air, which clearly wasn't working. Having the proper hand placement and using the strength in my fingertips brought me into a completely different pose... the correct one. I obviously have the teacher to thank because one comment made by her had my legs suddenly in the air at a 45 degree angle. Side note: Bikram Yoga Instructors will say 90% of the same thing every single class! May sound silly, but I promise that you will undoubtedly make a correction after weeks of practicing because you likely missed something said in the previous class. This was the case for me and Locust Pose. I literally had an "ah-ha!" moment as I was kissing the towel and flinging my legs higher. Moral of today's class: always, always, always be thankful for corrections pointed out by your teacher.

Weakest Pose: Poorna-Salabhasana (Full Locust Pose)


Firms the abdominal wall and upper thighs, and tightens upper arms, hips, and buttocks. It increases the size and elasticity of the rib cage and the lungs and improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine and of most of the body's muscles. 

 * After having an epiphany with Locust, I wasn't super focused on this next pose. Plus, I had exerted so much energy - leaving me fatigued. I know it shouldn't be that way, but that's the truth. It'll be better next time! 




Strongest Pose: Salabhasana (Locust Pose)
  


Has the same benefits as the Cobra, but it is even more potent in the cure of any back or spinal problem such as gout, slipped disc, and sciatica. It cures tennis elbow and is also excellent for firming buttocks and hips.

* I finally have the concept down! See how the hands are flat with no space from the elbows to the tips? Took seven days for me to realize that. You want to use your fingertips, palm, and arm strength to drive your legs up.  






No comments:

Post a Comment