Monday, March 19, 2012

Cloudy with a Chance of.... Bikram

Wow! I've been a major slacker when it comes to taking the time for a blog post. The last several months have been busy with Holidays, applying to Dental Hygiene Schools, moving in with Chris, and spending a large chunk of time in Arizona during February when my Dad passed away.

Today, I not only revisited my little slice of the cyber world here, but I also stepped foot back into Bikram Yoga Mile High. This time was a bit different since it was the first day of the Bikram 30 Day Challenge! I plan to post a daily review just to kind of wrap my head around the progression and convey how I feel as I move forward with this challenge. I have contemplated starting this challenge for quite some time... so a great question is why now? Well, 2 answers come to mind - 1.) Why not? It promotes great health! 2.) Cancun is in 31 days! 


Day 1: Can I just crawl into child's pose now??

I have practiced different forms of yoga since college; however, I have only attempted Bikram Yoga 4 times prior to today. I made sure to drink 70 ounces of water, eat plenty of fruits and veggies throughout the day, and even got 9 hours of sleep last night. Yet, I still found myself wanting to crawl into child's pose while simultaneously turning off the sound to the instructor's headset mic. This was especially true during the last 4 standing postures - Trikanasana (triangle pose), Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana (standing separate leg head to knee pose), Tadasana (tree pose), and Padangustasana (toe stand pose).

Weakest Poses: Garurasana (eagle pose) and Salabhasana (locust pose)


Eagle Pose
Supplies fresh blood to the reproductive organs and the kidneys, increasing sexual power and control. It helps firm calves, thighs, hips, abdomen, and upper arms. It also improves the flexibility of the hip, knee, and ankle joints and strengthens the latissimus dorsi, trapezius, and deltoid muscles.

Locust Pose
Has the same benefits as the Cobra, but it is even more potent in the cure of any back or spinal problem such as gout, slipped disc, and sciatica. It cures tennis elbow and is also excellent for firming buttocks and hips.


Strongest Poses: Tuladandasana (Balncing Stick) and Poorna-Salabhasana (Full Locust)


Balancing Stick Pose
Perfects control and balance by improving physical, psychological, and mental powers. In addition, it firms hips, buttocks, and upper thighs, as well as providing the same benefits for the legs as the Standing Head to Knee. It increases the circulation, strengthens the heart muscle, one of the best exercises for bad posture; strengthens the flexibility of latissimus dorsi, deltoid, and trapezius muscles; and improves the flexibility, strength, and muscle tone of shoulders, upper arms, spine, and hip joints.

Full Locust Pose
Firms the abdominal wall and upper thighs, and tightens upper arms, hips, and buttocks. It increases the size and elasticity of the rib cage and the lungs and improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine and of most of the body's muscles.


Overall Mood: Exhausted... going to bed now! I'm excited and nervous for Day 2 tomorrow - sweet dreams everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment