Friday, March 30, 2012

30DC- Day Six, Why did I have that last beer??

It's inevitable that practicing Bikram Yoga after a night involving alcohol is going to be more difficult. We went out the night before for some college basketball, air hockey (I was so close to winning!), and over-sized Jenga, which I recommend to everyone. Needless to say, I had consumed a "few" too many alcoholic beverages even after telling myself, "Only one....".

I was so nervous as I drove to the studio early the next morning. The two thoughts that consumed my mind were, "Why did I have that last beer?" and "You didn't hydrate enough this morning!". This was also my first morning class since I usually go after work every day. Luckily, I did not pass out and I actually did better than I should have for going out the night before. I guess there is something true to making up your mind when you lay your mat down and look yourself in the eyes in that front mirror. Although I had a great class, I was still wishing I would have stuck to only one beer. The reason being... I knew my potential and stamina would have been that much better. It speaks volumes about how much of a CHALLENGE this 30DC really is. It's a lifestyle change really. I wake up every day thinking about how I can prepare myself for a great class in the evening. If I don't drink enough water and don't consume healthy foods - I'm screwed. Each night before bed I think of the next day and what my schedule entails in order to fit in yoga. I've had to say "no" to joining friends for certain activities and rearrange my schedule/dinner time completely.

It's all worth it though! So, if you're considering starting a 30 Day Challenge I would tell you repeatedly that it's worth the tight schedule you'll create. Thankfully, my bosses, Chris, and friends have been extremely supportive. I haven't been able to be as flexible as I usually am with working evenings, Chris has dinner ready for me when I walk in the door at 8:15pm, and my friends have been so understanding when I have to show up late or miss events. Thank you all - luckiest girl right here. ;)

Weakest Pose: Dandayamana-Janushirasana (Standing Head to Knee Pose)


Helps develop concentration, patience, and determination. Physically, it tightens abdominal and thigh muscles, improves flexibility of the sciatic nerves, and strengthens the tendons, biceps of the thigh muscles, and hamstrings in the legs, in addition to the deltoid, trapezius, latissimus dorsi, scapula, biceps, and triceps.

* This pose was much easier standing on my right leg. I'm thinking the most likely reason for that is because I used to "fly" on my right leg in the old cheer days. The left side was wobbly and I struggled to keep my knee locked for the entire time.



Strongest Pose: Supta-Vajrasana (Fixed Firm Pose)



Helps cure sciatica, gout, and rheumatism in the legs. It slims thighs, firms calf muscles, and strengthens the abdomen. It also strengthens and improves flexibility of lower spine, knees, and ankle joints.

* Since I struggled a few times locking out my knees during a few of the standing postures, fixed firm felt incredible for my knees and ankles. This pose looks uncomfortable, but I find it to be the complete opposite.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment